Wednesday, June 27, 2007

balls of string

I was in the stationary store the other day and they had some strings with really cute wrappings.

I really love these Thai/Chinese packagings. They're usually printed on really primitive printing machines using these LOUD colours. They have a style all their own. They were about 15 baht a ball so I bought 2. I didn't really know what to make with them but thought I'd figure something out.

I knitted up a small sample and it knitted up pretty well creating a sort of candy cane stripey pattern. The fabric was firm and not scratchy. So I decided to try a hat pattern I'd been waiting to knit from Erica Knight's Baby Bloom book.

The little earflap hat. I added some scrap yarn I had left over from my natural dyeing class, and a wee bit of blue washi yarn, and it was quite pretty. The reddish pink is cochineal at 50%, the brown is walnut hull, yellow is jackfruit bark at 50% or 100% and mordanted with alum (I'm not sure, need to check my dye log to be sure.) Green is... I think some kind of fresh leaf, but extracted using the alkaline method so it's really really bright green. I didn't dye this green, a classmate gave it to me as a sample.

Yeah, when there's not a yarn shop in sight you just have to make do. I'll see what other things I can find to knit with.

2 comments:

hogan said...

I had to resort to other materials too when I was in HK last year- I made a purse out of cotton package string (http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/2847/3072/1600/157_5730.jpg). I really like the hat you made!

Anonymous said...

酒店經紀PRETTY GIRL 台北酒店經紀人 ,酒店經紀 酒店兼差PRETTY GIRL酒店公關 酒店小姐 彩色爆米花酒店兼職,酒店工作 彩色爆米花禮服店, 酒店上班,酒店工作 PRETTY GIRL酒店喝酒酒店上班 彩色爆米花台北酒店酒店小姐 PRETTY GIRL酒店上班酒店打工PRETTY GIRL酒店打工酒店經紀 彩色爆米花酒店兼差,酒店,