Sunday, August 19, 2007

Mari.

Well, she's here. My own little girl :) Mari Wangsai born on August 15th 2007 at 5:35 pm. A total surprise popping out at 37 weeks. I was caught completely un-prepared. She's so tiny, 2.5 kilo and 48 cm long with a darling apple dumpling face. She has lots of fine black hair, sharp little nails that she scratches me with and a tiny little bud of a mouth. I'm completely in love. Here's her birth story:

At 6 pm. the day after my 37 week exam I started having irregular contractions, they became pretty regular at about 10 pm. coming once every 5 min. It was so early I actually thought it was false labour and went to bed, tried to sleep through them until at 8 am. I called the hospital and they had me come in immediately. Turns out I was 1 cm. dilated and 75% effaced. Went to the delivery room and laboured there till 5 pm. The doctor came in and checked me, it turns out I hadn't made any progress at all and her head wasn't engaged. They decided that it was probably because my pelvis was too small for her to fit through and advised me to have a C-section. I really didn't want one, but I was worried about her, I don't know how much stress she was under during the long labour, so I agreed. It turns out that the C-section wasn't as bad as I thought. Kinda like watching an episode of ER... Anyway, the epidural blocked out any feeling in my lower body so I had no idea the doctor was actually lifting her out. I thought they were still looking for her when I heard her whimper, then cry and the doctor was saying she's a girl. I just laughed out loud! I was so happy to have her here and it was so unreal that they have actually lifted a real live living human being out of my body. I remember thinking 'Now we are two.' Me and Mari have been occupying the same space for so long having her out of my body felt like a huge step.

After that was the long road to recovery. I'm really glad the hospital here is so pro-breast feeding. It was really hard learning how to feed her, I'm not sure I could have done it with out all the advice I recieved. She's a very good feeder and has a very good appetite, but in the beginning it hurt so much. Like someone pinching your nipple over, and over, and over again. But I'm really glad I'm able to breatfeed her. I look at her poo and feel like, yeah, that's my breast milk right there :D

I'll try to post pictures when I have time again( God knows when that will be, it's been all Mari 24/7 since we got home.) The Mr. has been wonderful, I couldn't have hoped for a better partner through all this. He's been very patient and attentive during my recovery from the C-section, and he's just so in love with Mari. I think he's used up all the memory chips we have taking her pictures! Anyways, pics later. I promise. Right now I have to go get some sleep before the little miss wakes up for her next feed.

8 comments:

kat said...

Oh my goodness! I'm so teary right now. She's gorgeous and I'm so happy for the three of you! Congratulations!!! I hope our babies can meet and play some day while we knit :)

claire said...

wow! birth seems hard. i can't believe you have a healthy beautiful girl, congratulations to your brand new family!

audible said...

Congratulations! I can't wait for pictures to be posted... but take your time. I'm sure you have your hands very full right now.

Sigsy said...

@ Pinku - me too. It's so happy. And the thought of you guys knitting with babies is so yum.
SOOOOOOOO happy for you.

pinngurl said...

Thanks ladies. I’m really hoping I can meet up with you all someday too. Might not be too long because I’m sure I will be in Tokyo for a visit sometime next year. I’ll be sure to drop you a line then!

Unknown said...

Congratulations to the new parents! Thank you for sharing that awesome story...my eyes welled! Can't wait to see pictures of the happy family! ~Chris

Lily said...

Congratulation! I like to read your getcrafty blog last time before you dissapear. I am glad that I find you again through pinku link.

dagmar said...

Congrats to the three of you! It's so much fun having a daughter! I hope you'll recover very very soon (but take you're time) and enjoy!